This is my favorite meditation practice and one I use most. Anytime the chatter of the mind seems too great I take a moment to return to my breath and use the mantra so hum: inhale so / exhale hum. Right away I feel a clarity of the mind, calm, and peaceful. I like using mala beads (pictures above) with this meditation, every bead is a breath linked to the mantra so hum.
Use the mantra so hum ('so' : I am / 'hum' : that or all of creation) as a vehicle towards stillness, allowing the mind to focus on the breath as the thoughts, feelings, and sensations dissipate letting you move beyond the fluctuations of the mind and into a space of stillness, peace, and clarity.
- choose a comfortable place to practice
- set your intention and a timer
- let your body release into stillness, close your eyes and focus on your breath
- inhale silently say so / exhale silently say hum
- the moment you notice your attention drift to a thought, feeling, or sensation come back and gently return your awareness to the mantra: inhale so / exhale hum